Saturday, April 27, 2013

Two parties and the NGO bazaar

No movie theater pics today…the theater changed the movies and is now showing something rated R and some Twilight type movie called The Host…anyone know what that is?…yeah me neither…I know, I know…I’m disappointed, too…what, you thought that actually sounded boring and are glad that I didn't waste your time by talking about watching a movie?...fair enough, so it’s just me that’s disappointed.

Now that I've used up my monthly allotment of ellipses, I thought I’d share some more pictures (turns out to be a much easier way to fill space).

Last Saturday (April 20), Matt and Sophie (some of my favorite British people) threw a party. The theme was the 1970s, mainly because Matt and Sophie’s house kind of looks like it’s from the 1970s. Turns out I didn’t really bring specialized attire to Ethiopia, but other people did so I present to you pictures of them.


The invite:



Actual pictures of the house (notice the similarities to the invite and the amazing old school television, which I'm sure reminds my college roommates of some of the TVs I bought at DI back in the day). I'm also fond of the Last Supper. In general, the people here are very Orthodox Christian, so the furnished houses frequently have a lot of pictures of Jesus, crosses, etc.










Rachel, Betsy, and Sarah all decked out. You've also got to love a pink house...there's a joke in there somewhere about my Dad's old pink car (I know, I know, IT WAS ROSE MIST), but since I wrecked that car as a kid, I'm going to leave it alone.



Stephane and Matt.




Hayoung, Sophie, Caitlin, Betsy, and Eric.




Noah, Alli, and Betsy.




Fabio, Hayoung, Noah, and Stephane.




Barry's trying to figure out what I'm doing going around pointing my phone at everything. Followed by a picture with Barry and Iris in the background.





Sophie.




On Thursday, my apartment had its housewarming party. It was fun, but I didn't take any pictures. Just take the apartment pictures I shared with you before and imagine furniture and lots of people in it (don't worry, my room still looks pretty similar to the picture I shared before). Somehow, I hadn't made it up to our roof until the party. It's pretty nice up there, though we were only up there for 10-20 minutes before it started raining and the party moved inside.

This morning I went to an NGO bazaar. It's held at a church school of some sort over near Sarbet (which is close to the African Union building). They hold it the last Saturday of each month. I was super excited by the apples. I kept hearing they were finally in season but hadn't seen any for sale around. The grocery stores sell imported apples (which I hear are pretty bad) for almost $2 per apple. By comparison, the 50 birr (~$2.50) / kg that you pay for local apples is really cheap. They also had pears for 60 birr (~$3.25) / kg. In the fifth picture, you can also see some of the very, very colorful children's furniture.









Well, that's all folks. See you next time.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun party! Did you guys also play 70s music and disco all night long? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for the record, it was ROSE MIST and it didn't look pink and you did wreck it as a kid (but you're worth it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know some of your clothes might be from the 70's. So you are always ready for a party.

    ReplyDelete