Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Random stuff in Addis...again

Alright, I'm tired and two days late, so this'll be quick. It's time for another round of random stuff seen in Addis.

Security measures = broken up glass bottles embedded in the top of your concrete wall.



Holy crud; it's Target (well, not really).



This is what happens when you give a four-year-old a VHS cassette to play with.



McKinsey has gone through several iterations of secure USB sticks. I think they had at least two versions during my time there. No one was ever really sure how they were supposed to work. Sometimes the default passwords weren't set right, no one could ever remember their password, and since they worked differently on firm computers versus other computers (aka client computers), it led to some confusion in explaining to clients how to make it work in order to get files / data. I'm happy to report that based on the McKinsey consultants we had at ATA for June/July, the firm has now gone with something much more obvious...


...that's right, the keypad is literally on the USB stick. I laughed out loud when I saw this.


Some nice Toyota and Apple co-branding (I'm sure this is sanctioned by both companies). I may have shared this picture or one like it already; I see this quite a bit here.



That's right, the woman sitting next to me on the minibus is holding a live chicken.



This sign was in the supermarket (loose usage of the word) near my house for quite a while. The 8th annual "training to become a professional basketball player." Ah, to follow in the footsteps of all the professional basketball players to come out of Ethiopia in the last 7 years. You know, like...[awkward silence].



Let's end on a cheerful or "merry" note. If you don't have a Macy's near you, maybe, just maybe, you'll be lucky enough to have a Mery's close by.


2 comments:

  1. Its great to see all those quirky things out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks buddy! Always good to know someone's enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete