Monday, December 23, 2013

SPA farewells 14-16 and a little video

So, in the past week and a half, three of my friends have left ATA. Friday, December 13 was the last day for my roommate Fabio Spalding. I knew all that Friday the 13th stuff was true! Fabio is one of those people everyone likes, and it's not hard to see why. He's a very jolly Brazilian, and the last of my original roommates in my apartment. While at ATA, Fabio worked on the team constructing fertilizer blending plants. This is an effort that combines with our soil mapping work to make customized blended fertilizer (based on soil deficiencies) available in each village. He came from Bain Sao Paulo and is going back after traveling around South America for three months. We've already planned a trip for me to visit and watch the 2016 Rio Olympics with him: It's better when you're closer to the event and still watching it on TV :)



Clearly I was distraught at our farewell lunch. This is not actually the most ridiculous picture we took, but I don't have the rest of them.



Then, just one week later (on Friday, December 20), Sarah Hewitt left. Sarah had been at ATA since ~October 2012 and worked tirelessly to get the Gender Team up and running. She's very fun and is one of the people who came out with me on my very first night in Addis. Sarah is going to spend the next several months traveling before getting some super awesome job based on an African beach...well, at least a city in Africa with a beach...basically, spending so long in a landlocked country has gotten to Sarah.



Then just yesterday, Noah McColl left as well. Noah came to ATA just a bit after me and is also a super fun guy (I know I keep saying this about everyone, but it's fairly universally true at the ATA). He's Canadian...but we like him anyway...just kidding, everyone likes Canadians...not like the French...oh, sorry Henri :)

Before ATA, Noah was living in Mekelle (capital of the Tigray Region in Ethiopia) working on biofuel. He worked with the Seed and Tef Teams at ATA and is currently in the process of interviewing for his next job. Noah is part of our "tango group," which is what we call the group that goes to Golden Gym together.

Enjoy this really bad picture where we all have red eyes and where the picture "idea" was not very good either. From left to right, Matt, Tony, Rohan (holding a poster that I kid you not is titled "The Superhighway to Great Guns"...man I love this gym), Noah, and me.



It was also Noah's birthday last week, so we celebrated during our usual after gym dinner.



We'll miss you, buddy.




I was so distraught about these three leaving that I ran away to Abu Dhabi for Christmas. Given my recent track record, you'll hear more about that in...two months or so. On that note, enjoy this video from my October visit to Abu Dhabi.

This video has everything: Bottle time AND homework time AND Rosemary displaying her ability to say “hi” time AND Emma/Evelyn discussion on whether or not the family should have another child AND mommy loving time AND playing with bottle time AND watering the couch with milk time.



FYI, I know I cut the video abruptly, but if you pay attention, you can tell Emma was about to compliment Evelyn on her homework. I had to cut it in order to help clean off the milk Rosie decided to decorate the couch with while Emma was distracted...she's sneaky.

No comments:

Post a Comment