Friday, June 7, 2013

Dillon...and some other stuff but mainly...DILLON

Since I shared that video of Dillon dancing around almost naked in my first blog post, I'm sure the question you've all been having about Lawrence & Erika's wedding is...what did Dillon do?

Well, I'm glad you asked. During the week, every time Dillon did something amusing, I then forced him to repeat it so a picture could be taken. Not quite as real as if I was faster with the camera but still more authentic than reality TV :)

Trying on clothes at the thrift store in the middle of the aisle (another of those things Dillon can get away with that I can't). I'm not sure what he's doing in the second picture, but I know he's riding a pink rocking horse in a sweater vest without a shirt in the third picture.






Just close your eyes and savor that goodness in a can.



So this is what happens when you tell Dillon to smile for a picture. Telling him to say "hi" or "cheese" works much better.



For some reason both Evelyn and now Dillon are enamored with ironing. It's like a retelling of Tom Sawyer convincing the other kids that whitewashing the fence is fun. Key takeaway: Evelyn and Dillon might be perceptible to con-men later in life. Don't worry; the iron wasn't plugged in (otherwise, Dillon's blanket would now be Swiss if you know what I'm saying).



Pretty soon after this, Mark (Dillon's Dad) called to say hello. Dillon was excited to see his Dad but even more excited to see his house in the background. He kept trying to swipe the phone (like you do to move from one picture to another) hoping that it would magically transport him back to his house.


My Mom has those shoes with the toes, which makes them harder to take off. Dillon was up for the challenge (eventually). It only took him something like 20 minutes to get from picture 1 to picture 2 ;) Happy side note is that while my Mom has very small feet, they are still longer than my two-year-old nephew's. We may not be able to say that in a couple years. Side note to the side note - if you just read "two-year-old," looked at the picture of Dillon sitting on Careen's lap, and said to yourself "huh, Careen's really short," then you are mistaken. Dillon is almost three and could play middle linebacker in the toddler NFL (Malcolm Gladwell, you can send your complaints about my children playing football comment to...).




No Dillon, the socks go on BEFORE the shoes.



Hello! My hat is newly ironed! Can't you tell?



I'm wearing an adult's shirt to bed. Now I'm a true Barrett. Seriously, remove the background and this could be Lawrence 20 years ago.



Is this not how you eat apple sauce?



Uncle, mode of transportation, or instrument? Why pick just one?



Evelyn was similarly cute but the wedding stuff was so busy that most of the cute kid time happened after she left on Sunday. However, here's a picture of her pulling herself up by a rope and pulleys at COSI. How many pulleys was that? Maybe Evelyn could play middle linebacker (Goodness gracious, Malcolm! It's a joke.)



Wanted to close with two last things. First, it turns out you can take a lot of food / random stuff back to Ethiopia with you in three empty checked bags and two carry-ons. Ah, unsalted saltine crackers, how I missed you! There's like 10 boxes hidden behind the other food. At my current rate, though, I may need another trip in just a few weeks (and I really am trying to pace my consumption).



Finally, I just wanted to reiterate how happy I am that Lawrence got married. No one deserves joy more. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new roommate more than the 10+ years we shared a room. I love ya bro.


2 comments:

  1. Dillon and uncle photo . . . gets my favorite vote!!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete