Saturday, June 15, 2013

Is it me?...it's me, isn't it?

In case you think that SPA's are the only ones who are leaving, allow me to dissuade you of your misconception. People are continually trickling out. Part of this is that the Directors' contracts are starting to expire as well, but part of it is also just natural turnover.

In the last couple months, several people who have been with the organization for quite a while (considering the organization was still just a couple people 2 years ago) have left.

At the end of April, Mignot, who was Khalid's assistant, left to work as an assistant for the head of some UN donor organization.



While I was gone in the US, Pascal, who was the Director for the Wheat, Maize, and Barley Team and the Markets: Cereals Team left. Pascal is the likable, surly type (kind of like me except also likable). He was seconded to ATA from WFP and has gone back to be the Country Deputy Director for Ethiopia WFP. I actually walk through the WFP "compound" every day on my way to and from work.

[No picture due to US trip...I know, what a slacker.]

Then, yesterday, we had three at once. Armachen, Michael, and Wubet all left. Armachen did a lot of work in procurement and had been around over a year. Armachen is moving on to work for a bank. Michael did ATA's communications work, meaning he made sure all the progress got highlighted and communicated broadly. For example, check out ATA's 2012 Annual Report. Michael had been around like 1.5 years, and is going to work in communications for an initiative of the British Embassy. Wubet was the liaison with all our funding organizations. In other words, ATA may not be able to pay for anything anymore (let's check back in on this in a couple weeks). Wubet had been around about 1.75 years and was employee number 3 or 4. She's starting her own textiles business.

From left to right, Armachen, Michael, and Wubet. My boss, Yohannes, is standing slightly behind them in between Michael and Wubet.



Mike showing how much he'll miss me.



Mignot, Wubet, Michael, and Sarah Platts (farewell previously detailed) all sat really close to me. We were all in the south side of the 9th floor. The only question now is if this is correlation or causation. As I'll be moving teams (and seats) soon, this will give us a good opportunity to test it out.

My hypothesis: People on the south side of the 7th floor are going to start dropping like flies :)

No comments:

Post a Comment